Monday, November 24, 2008

Reflection 5: A topic in language education that I want to know more about

I have seen that most of the foreign students in my class have problems in terms of writing, especially those who come from Russia, because they use other alphabet. To this problem related to writing, we have to add that they struggle with reading, because of the same reason.
So, I would like to know: How can we help them?
I found a very complete webpage that explain about ALL the language skills, and there is also explained about reading (what is the most useful for me at the moment, considering the situation of non native speakers). But all the topics that we can read there are very useful, and it is a great resource for language teachers, and support language learning through different ways.

http://www.ncela.gwu.edu/practice/itc/elementary.html

This is the best webpage I found in relation to language learning, and we can see very easy explanations about these topics.

1 comment:

Gina Petrie/CALE/ESLG said...

Felipe,
This does look like a good site. It uses a lot of research findings, which is promising. I didn't see anything on the site that specifically talked about learning to read when your first writing system is different than English (Roman alphabet). Did you see anything about this on there?
Gina